As a single footstep will not make a path on the earth, so a single thought will not make a pathway in the mind. To make a deep physical path, we walk again and again. To make a deep mental path, we must think over and over the kind of thoughts we wish to dominate our lives.
Henry David Thoreau
The thing that’s important, really important, about this quote is that we have to think these thoughts over and over if they’re to have an impact. I know it sucks…but there it is. As you can see, the dominant thoughts that I have are not poetic, or beautiful, or brilliant, or complicated in any way. In fact they’re very ordinary, which is probably why they work for me. 🙂 And, they truly have had a profound impact, leaving an indelible impression on my life.
1. This is really easy…when I’m having difficulties.
2. I have a happy and safe journey…every time I get in my car, or travel anywhere.
3. I’m blessed…just generally, for no specific reason…throughout the day.
4. I love my body…in the shower or getting dress and undressed.
5. I bless and release you, I bless and release me…if I’ve had a problem, with, or don’t think well of someone.
6 Do I believe God can do this…if doubt or fear arises.
7. I’m healed, I’m healthy…for any sickness that I might feel is coming on. It might work with a cold but I don’t know because I don’t get them. Honest.
8. I love my life…often when I’m chopping vegetables for dinner, or making the bed, or doing the laundry or any other mundane task that requires no thought. Everything feels better with this one.
9. I’m positive I’m happy, I’m positively happy…self explanatory.
10. I might have no clue how to do this, but I know I did it…equally self explanatory.
11. I feel great...when I have a headache or cramp or any other minor complaint. It takes about five minutes for cramp and a little longer for a headache. It even works with migraines, which used to be the bane of my life. Although it would take a good half hour of soaking in a bath repeating it over and over. And if you’re a migraine sufferer, you’ll know it was well worth it. Just saying.
12. Not in my world…for anything I hear, or read, or see on television, or that anyone wants to convince me is true when it isn’t something I would choose to experience.
13. So what, I know the outcome…when things aren’t quite working out according to plan.
14. Thank you, thank you…to no-one in particular and for very little reason; just driving my car, or hearing kid’s laughter, or watching the waving of the swamp willows as I sit and well, gaze.
15. I love my darling one…because I do and I rejoice in it.
I’m building my life one thought at a time.
If you have any great dominant thoughts you’d like to share, I most definitely want to hear them…love new thoughts that help make a deeper and better mental path.
Encourage one another.
7 thoughts on “Who Else Wants To Build A Better Life?”
Elle, I love reading your posts and the comments of other readers. It’s like a warm shower of kindness.
When I feel overwhelmed by something, I say to myself “I am just a breathing being, and I have all the time in the world just to take this breath. This breath lasts forever…” – it somehow elongates time and allows me to make better use of it. Not only that – it actually diminishes problems and suddenly they seem so small, because you have an important task before you: you have to breathe. Everything else can wait. The next one I actually saw in a movie, when a man tells his son how to ignore bullies – he advises him to (mentally)”roll up the car window in front of them”. I liked this one – we decide who and what we let in on our life journey. Keep your personal emotional and mental space clean of anything you don’t want in it. Simply roll up the window. When I find myself worrying about what might happen, I simply tell myself – “It’s not happening. The reality is different.”. It snaps me out of it, like when Caesar Millan pokes a dog in the ribs 🙂
Me too Ana. Love reading the comments I mean. What an insightful bunch you are…I have so many teachable moments from you…and I love to learn. Thanks for sharing, we all benefit from one another.
What an awesome article! I really like these questions/comments, and I will have to try this myself in my daily routine. Thank you for sharing this! I really appreciate it!
Cheers Victor and you’re very welcome. 🙂
Our thoughts determine our lives…I just think positive thoughts all the time…little phrases come to me though largely I don’t like to complicate things.
When you think positive, the words/phrases/mantras look after themselves…at least that’s how I’ve found it.
Thankyou for the uplift, Elle
be good to yourself
Isn’t it great David that we are all such unique expressions of consciousness. It’s wonderful how we all use techniques that work for us. These are some samples that I’ve used and have now become my mental pathways…a natural way for me to think. 🙂
Elle: You da bomb