My Darling One and friends are currently enjoying something I think is called “the bowls”, daily, incessantly…not quite obsessively…but close.
As anyone who knows me, even slightly, can attest to, there is nothing that you could tell me about “the bowls” that I’d be even remotely interested in.
Not to offend anyone, but not only do I know nothing about football, be it American or British, I have not a smidgeon of interest in discovering more.
But oh my gosh I felt so sorry for the players, for the huge amount of time they must spend practicing.
Being knocked silly on a daily basis didn’t strike me as much fun.
I’m sure the rewards are great…but even so. For those of you thinking…wow she’s so ignorant about football… yep, that’s ‘xactly what I’m saying.
But I still get that it must take a lot of practice and that got me thinking about the mental discipline they must need too. Especially to reach ‘the bowls’.
One thing I know for certain, those footballers weren’t thinking what’s the best way to lose this game.
They equally weren’t focused on how it didn’t turn out quite so well last time they played, and imagining the current game being just as bad, or heaven forbid, even worse.
Not on your nelly. They had been trained to focus on what they want…a great big win. A fantastic win. The best win ever. They see themselves winning, feel they’re winners.
Just in case you don’t have coaches in your corner guiding you towards winning your very own ‘bowls’. Here’s what you can do:
1. Choose your focus – it’s not about winning a football game for all of us!
2. Create a scene that implies you’ve experienced your desire. Make it as real as possible. Fill it with sound, with colour, with as many senses as you can.
3. Feel what it’s like to now have or be this. Do you feel relieved, excited, happy. Remember you’ve done it, you’re experiencing it right now.
4. Think about it often during the day, as though it really, truly had happened. What would you think? What would your friends say to you, or about you? Are they congratulating you? Are they happy for you? If you’re having the same thoughts you’ve always had, then you’re not living in your new state of mind.
5. Fall asleep every night in this wonderful new state. The place where you have or you are exactly what you desired to have or be. Aah. Relax. Doesn’t that feel good?
That’s it in a nutshell. Go forth and conquer my friends. And come back and let me know how well it worked…I know it will…you can be just as disciplined as any old football player. No offence to football players of course, they’re pretty good at this.