Reading time: 5 minutes
We’re all in the process of living, loving, growing, changing and staying happy.
Life is wonderful, amazing, frustrating, sad, funny, and all the things in between. It’s been that way for thousands of years and over time there have been profound, uplifting, encouraging, supportive and truly helpful words written about living greatly.
There’s much we can learn from the wisdom of the ages and today I’d like to share 55 inspiring, thought provoking and uplifting words from the past 2000 years on the art of living, loving growing and changing and staying happy while you do it.
1. All of the animals except for man know that the principle business of life is to enjoy it. ~ Samuel Butler
2. Be aware of wonder. Live a balanced life–learn some and think some and draw and paint and sing and dance and play and work every day some.~ Robert Fulghum
3. Believe that life is worth living, and your belief will help create the fact. ~ William James
4. Could we change our attitude, we should not only see life differently, but life itself would be different. ~ Katherine Mansfield
5. You can play small to fit in, or you can be your beautiful, amazing self. But you can’t be both. – Elle Sommer
Our real world experiences help us decide how well we are living, loving, growing, changing and staying happy
6. From what we get, we can make a living; what we give, however, makes a life. ~ Arthur Ashe
7. The game of life is the game of boomerangs. Our thoughts, deeds, and words return to us sooner or later, with astounding accuracy. ~ Florence Scovel Shinn
8 Here is the test to find whether your mission on earth is finished: If you’re alive, it isn’t. ~ Richard Bach
9. A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing. ~ George Bernard Shaw
10. Our life always expresses the result of our dominant thoughts. ~ Soren Kierkegaard
11. We must be willing to let go of the life we have planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us. ~ E. M. Forster
12. Each morning when I open my eyes I say to myself: I not events have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. ~ Groucho Marx
13. Happiness is something that comes into our lives through doors we don’t even remember leaving open. ~ Rose Lane
14. The belief that youth is the happiest time of life is founded on a fallacy. The happiest person is the person who thinks the most interesting thoughts and we grow happier as we grow older. ~ William Lyon Phelps
15. If you want to be valued, first value yourself. If you want to be respected, first respect yourself. If you want to be loved, first love yourself. – Elle Sommer
Living and growing doesn’t have to elusive
17. Happiness consists not in having, but of being, not of possessing, but of enjoying. It is the warm glow of a heart at peace with itself. ~ Norman Vincent Peale
18. Happiness is a present attitude…not a future condition. ~ Hugh Prather
19. Happiness is not found by searching for it, because you find it only when you realize you already have it. ~ David Charles
20. The happiness of your life depends upon the quality of your thoughts: therefore, guard accordingly, and take care that you entertain no notions unsuitable to virtue and reasonable nature. ~ Marcus Aurelius
21. If in our daily life we can smile, if we can be peaceful and happy, not only we, but everyone will profit from it. This is the most basic kind of peace work. ~ Thich Nhat Han
22. It is only possible to live happily ever-after on a day to day basis. ~ Margaret Bonnano
23. Make one person happy each day and in forty years you will have made 14,600 human beings happy for a little time at least. ~ Charley Willey
24. Love is the master key that opens the gates of happiness. ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
25. Be happy for this moment. This moment is your life. ~ Omar Khayyam.
26. It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that makes happiness. ~ Charles Spurgeon
27. Happiness depends upon ourselves. ~ Aristotle
28. Happy is the man who has broken the chains which hurt the mind, and has given up worrying once and for all. ~ Ovid
29. All you really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn’t hurt. ~ Charles Schulz
30. The biggest disease this day and age is that of people feeling unloved. ~ Unknown
31. Nothing binds you except your thoughts; nothing limits you except your fear, and nothing controls you, except your beliefs. – Marianne Williamson
Doing things with love makes living, loving, growing, changing and staying happy an easier prospect.
32. Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage. ~ Lao Tzu
33. Do all things with love. ~ Og Mandino
34. Love is like a beautiful flower which I may not touch, but whose fragrance makes the garden a place of delight just the same. ~ Helen Keller
35. Love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking outward together in the same direction. ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupery
36. We waste time looking for the perfect lover, instead of creating the perfect love. ~ Tom Robbins
37. Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well. ~ Vincent Van Gogh
38. The more one judges, the less one loves. ~ Honore de Balzac
39. Life without love is like a tree without blossoms or fruit. ~ Khalil Gibran
40. We need 4 hugs a day for survival. We need 8 hugs a day for maintenance. We need 12 hugs a day for growth. ~ Virginia Satir
41. You will find as you look back upon your life that the moments when you have truly lived are the moments when you have done things in the spirit of love. ~ Henry Drummond
42. Love does not dominate; it cultivates. ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
43. Do you want my one-word secret of happiness? It’s growth–mental, financial, you name it. ~ Harold S. Geneen
44. Don’t go through life, grow through life. ~ Eric Butterworth
45. I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. ~ Pablo Picasso
46. If you play it safe in life you’ve decided that you don’t want to grow any more. ~ Shirley Hufstedler
47. Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence. – Helen Keller
48. People don’t grow old. When they stop growing, they become old. ~ Anonymous
49. Step by step is the law of growth. God does not expect the acorn to be a mighty oak before it has become a sapling. ~ George E. Carpenter
50. We all carry the seeds of greatness within us, but we need an image as a point of focus in order that they may sprout. ~ Epictetus
51. We cannot become what we need to be by remaining what we are. ~ Max Depree
52. You’ve got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was. ~ Irish Proverb
53. The key to growth is the introduction of higher dimensions of consciousness into our awareness. ~ Lao Tzu
54. The only way that we can live, is if we grow. The only way that we can grow is if we change. The only way that we can change is if we learn. The only way we can learn is if we are exposed. And the only way that we can become exposed is if we throw ourselves out into the open. Do it. Throw yourself. ~ C. JoyBell C.
55. Everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you’re climbing it. ~ Andy Rooney
I had fun coming up with these wonderful quotes. Do you have a favourite, or one I haven’t included that you love? Share in the comments below, I’d love to hear what it is.
Encourage one another.
Thanks for stopping by! Please, share this article on your favorite social networks. Every share, like or tweet helps to reach more people who might need some love in their life. You are the best. ღ