Reading time: 3 minutes
One day you’ll be glad you worked your way through the tough times, even though today you might be feeling a little bit lost and alone.
And maybe you’re not sure of the direction you’d like your life to take. Or you could be unhappy about the way you look.
You might be sick.
You might not be feeling very special or very blessed.
You might have financial worries, or relationship problems.
Just don’t let setbacks become the story of your life.
As Samuel Butler said “If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we shall before long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do.”
Following on from those wise words, here’s 28 thoughts I’ve accumulated whilst getting over many things that were hard to get past. Thoughts that helped me move on to live a more positive, productive life.
- If you’ve spent a lot of time feeling miserable about something that’s hard to get past. Try getting over it instead. Remind yourself that you can as easily choose to say ‘so wha’t AS ‘this is awful’. So what that you’re less than perfect? So what that you made mistakes? Keep saying it until it becomes your truth.
- Each time you think the game is over, you’ll discover a new one is just beginning.
- You were incredible and magnificent before this person or this event happened, don’t allow it to define you as less than that now.
- No one is born with a monopoly on wisdom. It comes from the path we choose to walk, the choices we choose to make. We don’t inherit wisdom, we earn it.
- Don’t be so inflexible that you can’t stop whatever you’re doing when creativity strikes. Give it a fair chance by always keeping your heart open. You might not know what’s going to come in, but be prepared to go for it. And be proud of yourself when you do.
- Remember you are the ruler of your inner world. Let no-one think for you, dream for you, live for you. Do it for yourself. You’re worth the effort.
- Set the bar high, set the bar low. It’s entirely up to you. You’re the only one who truly is affected.
- If you don’t want someone to drive you crazy, keep your keys away from them.
- Don’t invest the opinions of others with a power they don’t possess. Stay true to you. Only you can say what’s right for you.
- If you trip over stepping stones, you’ve turned them into stumbling blocks. Tripping over something isn’t important. Picking yourself up is.
- Complaining isn’t a good strategy, it doesn’t dilute problems it magnifies them. You have a finite time on this earth and complaining won’t make the time any happier. (Read The Last Lecture)
- Growth isn’t very orderly and won’t be predictable. Learn to work with it.
- When you value your time, your body, your abilities and yourself you’re more likely to protect them.
- It’s important some days to allow yourself to sit and be. You’d be surprised at how many brilliant ideas come to you that way.
- Live each day consciously knowing that joy exists within you and all that’s required of you is that you notice it. Life works out much better this way.
- Take the time to allow solutions to flow. We all want instant gratification, but remember there’s nothing wrong in sometimes letting things run their course.
- When you practice managing the easy things in life until you can do them well, you’ll find it easier to manage the difficult.
- Don’t passively live your life. Dive in with gusto, Paint, write, create, love, hug, forgive, swim, dig in the dirt. Experience it, be a participant.
- The self-help industry can be wonderfully empowering…but it’s called self-help for a reason…the one who makes a difference in your life is you. Help yourself.
- If you want to know if you’re thinking the right thoughts, take a look at your life. Are you happy with your experiences? If not change your thoughts, it’s the only way to change direction.
- You are a beautiful mosaic of gifts. Everything fits neatly together when you’re in harmony with yourself and the life you lead.
- Make sure you’re not pouring all your livingness into the lives of others whilst never developing what is most valuable in your own.
- Remind yourself that success is more about who you become than what you get. Being the best YOU possible is the greatest success story.
- Put as much energy towards a desired outcome as you do to wasting time and you’ll realize the abundance of opportunities that are sitting, waiting to be born.
- You’ll gain great self-respect when you’re willing to be responsible for your life and that’s real power.
- The current state of your bank account, your health, your relationships, your everything is a physical manifestation of your thinking.
- Take your focus off what others are doing wrong and keep it on what you can do right. You’ll be amazed at the places your gifts will take you.
- To be good at anything takes practice. Don’t give up because you falter. Our minds aren’t always disciplined and resist half hearted attempts to have new thoughts. But you are greater than your mind and wanting to live a positive productive life means you have to have positive, productive thoughts. Practice, practice, practice as though your very life depends upon it. It sort of does.
May some of these words encourage you as they have encouraged me throughout the tough times in my life.
I understand how difficult it can be to know how to live in a physical world of challenges from our highest perspective, even if we know it will take us to the best places we’ve ever been.
Encourage one another.